Q: What are hair extensions?
A: Hair extensions are adding hair that is not your own onto your own hair. This can be achieved by different methods (Weaving, Braiding, Bonding using fusions or micro ring systems).
They are applied by skilled hair extensionists, either in a salon or in the convenience of their home.
Hair extensions offer people instant methods of changing their appearance and can be washed, cut and styled to a person's individual taste. They are today’s woman’s must have!!.
People wear hair extensions for different reasons:-
(1) - Wish to change their appearance but not permanently. Hair extensions make hair look fuller and longer or one can even opt for a different hair color.
(2) - Hair thinning or any other hair/scalp conditions. Hair extensions or wigs are a great way of getting round these problems.
Q: Will hair extensions damage my hair?
A: If application had been done properly and the client has followed the correct maintenance procedures, i.e. No pulling at bonds, having an extensionist remove the bonds when necessary to do so, NOT exceeding the lifep, you should have minimal, if any, damage.
Q: Can I wash and blow-dry the extensions?
A: You treat it the same as your own hair, NO excessive heat, (flat irons) may be used on the bonds, whereas it can be used on the MICRO CYLINDER SYSTEM.
Q: Can I swim?
A: Chlorine damages ones natural hair by breaking down the protein (keratin), from which ones hair and nails are made. Our Kerstin bonds are similarly damaged. For this reason we only endorse swimming with the MICRO SYSTEM.
Q: Do I need to purchase any aftercare products?
A: One shouldn’t use any inferior products on hair extensions that you would not use on your own hair. Many inferior products contain harsh chemicals, as this will damage all hair and break down the bonds of the fusion system. Ask your hair extensionist for the appropriate International Hair Extension maintenance products to suite your hair’s needs and texture.
Q: Where does human hair come from?
A: The hair we sell comes from different places in the world, though mostly from the Asian countries. We guarantee that the hair we sell is 100% Natural Human hair.
Some people think that human hair comes from dead people. Well be reassured "IT DOESN'T”!! People grow their hair long and then sell it to factories that produce a finished product in 100% natural human hair. This mostly happens in developing countries.
Q: Can I wash and blow dry human/natural hair?
A: Human hair can be treated exactly the same as your own hair. Though blow drying should be done by a hair extension expert as excessive heat can damage the extensions.
If you are doing it yourself at home, ensure you have it on a very low setting and free dry it (i.e. no brush whilst blow-drying).
Q: Will I have to do anything special to take care of my Hair Extensions?
A: It is important that the Hair Extension bonds are kept dry as often as possible. Also, we recommend the use of a shampoo made especially for extensions, which we carry, and a natural boar bristle brush to brush over the bonds themselves.
Q: WHAT will Hair Extensions cost if I want increased fullness or length?
A: Price can vary depending on your needs and desires. Many clients simply wear Hair Extensions in order to add fullness to their hair and not length. In this case cost can range from R 1900.00 to R 2500.00 On the other hand, if someone with dense hair is looking for additional length, more hair must be added in order to maintain density from root to the new end, therefore cost increases between R 3700.00 – R5550.00. Exceptionally long hair can go as high as R 8000.00. A consultation is the only way best to find out where in this spectrum you fall.
Q: WHAT IS THE HAIR EXTENSION/ CONSULTATION
A: Once you’ve located a convenient International Hair Extensions salon your stylist will:
1. Carry out a detailed consultation with you. The 30 min consultation will help you choose the correct hair extension application system for your lifestyle. We will also help you choose your new hairstyle, determine the creative look you would like to achieve.
2. You will be asked some personal questions to assess your lifestyle and suitability to extensions. This will answer any questions you may have and help your stylist create your dream hair.
3. Once you have accepted the quote, the next step would be to pay a 50% deposit to the hairextensionist in order to place an order for your hair extensions. The salon will order your hair from International Hair Extension head office which generally arrives the next working day. The Salon will then book and appointment for the application of your extentions.
4. Apply your extensions and create the hairstyle you have always dreamed of, longer, fuller and sexier hair. After which they will provide you with thorough aftercare advice to help you care for, style, protect and prolong the life of your extensions.
5. Set up a 2 week follow up maintenance appointment after application to ensure you are happy with your extensions and to answer any queries you may have.
6. Recommend booking regular check-ups to help keep your style looking its best.
Q: Can I get extensions just for highlights or lowlights or fun colors?
A: Yes! Extensions can be used in a variety of ways to add color to the hair. Highlights, lowlights or fun fantasy colors can be done in a multitude of designs. Price for just a splash of color starts at only R 65.00
Q: Will the Hair Extensions damage my own Hair?
A: The hair extensions are placed onto the hair and attached with a keratin protein polymer, the same substance your hair and nails are made of. This polymer is completely safe for your hair and so is the removal method. It is important for you to understand that proper at home maintenance is a must. Your hair extensionist will instruct you on how to care for your extensions so as to keep your hair in the best condition.
Q: Will my Hair Extensions fall out while I have them in my Hair?
A: The average person who wears hair extensions will have anywhere from 100 to 165 human hair extension bonds. Over the lifep of the extensions (3-6 months) some bonds may slip out, which is normal due to our own hair shedding. Proper care of the bonds will keep loss at a minimum.
Q: How long will it take to put my Hair Extensions in?
A: Time depends on the desired result. Adding a few flash points for funky colours, takes only minutes. Adding fullness and not length can take 1-3 hours. Adding length can take 3-6 hours, and in rare instances possibly longer.
Q: What is the difference between the Micro system & Fusion system?